5 Essential Google Mobile Website Resources for 2015
Last Tuesday, Google’s algorithm began favouring mobile friendly websites in mobile search results. The algorithm adjustment was tipped as being major, with significant and far reaching consequences for sites that aren’t mobile-friendly.
If your website has seen a drop in mobile visits from organic search and you’re not sure if this latest algorithm update is a factor, here are five helpful resources you can use to identify and resolve any issues. And as this algorithm runs in real time, fixing mobile issues will lead to a quick resurgence of your mobile search result visibility.
- Google’s Mobile Friendly Testing Tool – Simply input your website URL and press analyse.
- Google’s Mobile Website Best Practice documentation for Responsive Design. A Responsive Design serves users with the same HTML code on the same URL regardless of the users’ device (desktop, tablet, mobile, non-visual browser). As the name Responsive Design suggests, the display responds to the users device differently based on screen size. Responsive design is Google’s recommended design pattern.
- Google’s Mobile Website Best Practice documentation for Dynamic Serving – Dynamic Serving is a mobile website configuration that sends different code to each device, using the same URL structure
- Google’s Mobile Website Best Practice documentation for Separate URLs – Mobile sites with Separate URLs are those with unique mobile website configurations that vary from the desktop and tablet experience.
- Google Chrome Device Emulation mode – Google Chrome will allow you to browse your website as though you were on a range of different devices (e.g. mobile, tablet, etc.).To activate is easy: Open Chrome and navigate to a webpage > Right click and select ‘Inspect Element’ from the drop down menu > Select the mobile phone icon and play around!
Which will show you a view similar to
Have you seen a change in your mobile website ranking visibility recently? If so, please feel free to share your story in the comments.
Co-Founder and Director
Helping you navigate and leverage the world's most powerful digital marketing channels.